Ubuntu 11.10 is an amazing Linux distro for a desktop user. It comes with many pre-packed applications. But, still we need some more apps to get it work for a home user. Here I list 5 must to do things after installing Ubuntu on your desktop.
1. Look for the updates on the net. Open the command terminal and run the following command as root user.
sudo apt-get update
This command will check for the new updates available on the net.
2. Upgrade your system by installing the updates available on the net by running the command.
sudo apt-get upgrade
This command will list all the updates available n asks for your permission to install them.
3. Install Synaptic Package Manager. Earlier versions of Ubuntu used to come with the tool. It’s a very powerful tool to handle the installation and removal of packages(softwares) on your system. To install synaptic package manager run the following command in the terminal.
sudo apt-get install synaptic
4. The Ubuntu Distro lacks many plug-ins to facilitate the execution n use of media files(eg. .flv, .mkv, .mp4 etc). To install all the required plug-ins open the terminal and run the following command.
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
5. Ubuntu comes with default media player (Banshee). VLC is a powerful media player. To install vlc in ubuntu just enter the following command in the terminal window.
sudo apt-get install vlc
This will install vlc player in your desktop
Twit this with your twitter acount : Tweet